Angèle Diabang was trained at the Forum Média Centre in Dakar (2003), at FEMIS in Paris and at the Filmakademie in Germany. In 2005, she directed her first film, Mon beau sourire, which was acclaimed by international critics; followed by four other documentaries, including Congo, un médecin pour sauver les femmes, the first film about Doctor Denis Mukwege, winner of the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize. Angèle then moves on to fiction with her short films Ma coépouse bien-aimée (Clermont-Ferrand 2019 selection, best screenplay award at the Émergence festival in Togo) and Un air de kora (Bronze Foal at FESPACO 2019 and Best short Film at WADA 2019, Nigeria; best short film in Kigali, Bujumbura, Cotonou, Dakar). She also won the ECOWAS Best Director Award at FESPACO 2019. From 2014 to 2016, Angèle was President of the Board of Directors of SODAV, a collective management society of copyright in Senegal.
Karoninka is a film production and directing company which, during its fourteen years of existence, has proven itself with a large number of documentary and fiction films, institutional films, video clips, etc. From Congo, un médecin pour sauver les femmes (first film about Doctor Denis Mukwege, Nobel Peace Prize 2018) to Waliden, enfant d’autrui, through Sénégalaise et Islam, Karoninka’s filmography is very committed. Its experience, which goes further the Senegalese borders, both in Africa and in Europe, has enabled it to acquire a network allowing to meet the requirements of the profession. Karoninka’s commitment, spirit of innovation and discipline allow it to be recognized in executive production and production management for international films when they are shot in Senegal.
The development project
With Afrique Créative, Karoninka is pursuing acceleration objectives. Among these, the company wants to
- Structure its business model and diversify its sources of revenue
- Develop and strengthen the production potential in order to diversify its activities.
- Stabilize and strengthen the team, which mainly includes women.
- Develop projects for fictional and documentary television series.
- Set up the Institut Mousso in order to train young girls from Casamance in the film industry.
Several actions have already been carried out:
- Partnership opportunities for the financing of productions.
- The acquisition of high-performance filming equipment.
- The recruitment of a team and the formalization of contracts
- Work in progress on fiction screenplays (feature films and series).
- The establishment of an action plan for the setting up of the Institut Mousso.
youths trained in
documentary writing and
women in the team
More info and contact